Sunday, July 14, 2013

DIY Ice Cream Cake



As I mentioned in my last post, in one long night I made 21 different cakes. One of these was an ice cream cake. My mom used to make these for parties when I was a kid so for this party, I called her and asked how to make them. Turns out it much simpler than I expected. Why spend $30 on an ice cream cake when you can make one for about $5?

What you need:
-Ice Cream (I used vanilla)
-Hostess Ho-Ho Cakes 
(Do they still exist? I'm sure you could find something similar.)



I used a bundt pan because it looks pretty and it has slots making it easy to know where to cut slices. I took the ice cream out to soften for a little while. You do not want it to be liquid but you need to be able to squish it. While the ice cream was softening I unwrapped a bunch of Ho-Hos and squished them into the pan and packed it down as best as I could. How much you use depends on what pan you are using and how much cake you want in your ice cream cake. Once I had the Ho-Hos squished into the pan, I then squished the ice cream into the pan and then made sure it was flat. I put it back in the freezer to solidify a bit and then popped it out of the pan and put it on the plate when I was ready for it. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment